Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SEPTEMBER 2013

AND SO IT BEGINS.....

                          
      


...dressing in layers, white smoke billowing from the chimney of my neighbor's house. I imagine a well stoked fire in it's place as I turn up the thermostat (and happy to do so!)  Out come the water repellent jackets and boots....... Umbrella..... "at the ready"...... like a magic wand.......the levitation charm...."wingardium leviosa!" UP POPS the domed covering and a lovely walk in the rain becomes a part of the day.............I'm under it's spell     :  )


 

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
Levitation Charm-"wingardium leviosa"

photos courtesy of free online images



I was wondering if 'Hermione Granger' would switch out the word umbrella for bumpershoot.....so I looked it up; it's not 'bumpershoot'; it's 'bumbershoot'!....who knew? not me!    : o

Bumbershoot: bumber - (alteration of 'umber' in umbrella) plus - shoot - (alteration of 'chute' as in parachute)

First known use: Circa 1896

Merriam-Webster



and then I came across this....BUMBERSHOOT ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL, SEATTLE, WASHINGTON  (Labor Day Weekend)........who knew??? not me...again! but I know now!   : )

































No comments:

Post a Comment